8/09/2018

Cycle Updates

I wanted to write an update on our donor egg IVF cycle, which officially started with medication two days ago (!).

Once we paid the (huge) fee for the procedure, we started getting excited and having many conversations about whether we wanted to transfer one or two embryos. The percentage of success with one embryo is 70% and with two, 80%. Apparently, to most people, 10% seems negligible, but that does not reflect my feelings. Maybe it's my teaching background - the difference between a C and a B - or maybe it's the psychological impact that 8 out of 10 or 80% has on my brain (I want those odds!), but it seems fairly significant to me.

But a 50% chance of twins if we transfer two? Those are significant odds, as well. We are open to twins and would much prefer them to a failed cycle, but we would definitely rather have one than two. Of course, two would be much harder on my (older mom) body and there are increased chances of preeclampsia and pre-term birth, moreso the latter I think.

We also think, however, about using donor egg and how this might increase the desire and benefit for a child to have a sibling. RC was a twin and has positive feelings about that. Twins could be lots of fun, right?! But also expensive and lots - and lots and lots - of work! So, we are continuing to reflect on this and feel into whether at some level we want or would be happy about having twins, which I feel would be a necessary precursor to transferring two.

In terms of concrete actions, I started Lupron day before yesterday. I've administered Lupron subcutaneously to myself before, so it is not too daunting and, strangely, a little bit fun. I just love the feeling of moving forward and each injection contributing to the success of this cycle. Today was my last BCP, so that feels momentous, as well. Hopefully, it's the last pack of pills for the next nine months and maybe ever!

Forthcoming exciting action steps include starting my Estradiol patches on the 14th, then going to Cal IVF for my lining check appointment on the 28th. We know the area a little better now, so rather than booking a hotel close to downtown and some very sketchy areas, we booked a Marriott within walking distance of the clinic. I love staying in (decent) hotels, it's like a fun introvert slumber party for me. They serve warm breakfast in the morning, too - yum.

If all goes well, the donor will donate the eggs on September 2nd, and somewhere around this time, I start dreaded progesterone injections. I have gotten a few helpful tips from friends; if you have any advice on how to make it less intimidating or painful, I would love to hear them. Then, the embryo(s) will be transferred to my uterus around the 7th. I'm so excited. :) Please send us good thoughts!

7 comments:

  1. Very exciting! I'll be sending you ALL the good thoughts!

    I have no advice on how many embryos to transfer, but I can tell you that I know of a couple that had twins at 50 and they've all managed to get through the tough infant/toddler years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is happening! How exciting!!! I am sending you positive thoughts and prayers for success. Twins sounds daunting, but I've heard from friends that it's actually easier, because they entertain each other, which is huge when they get to be sitting up and get to that age where they notice other babies. I think it could actually be very helpful to have twins - though, yes, more work when they are babies. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Sorry it took so long to respond. Blogger suddenly stopped notifying me of comments. :-/ We are leaning towards transferring two...

      Delete
  3. Definitely exciting times! So thrilled for you. IN regards to the progesterone injections -- they really aren't that bad once you get a couple in -- the anticipation (at least for me) was the worst. I got to the point where I could give them to myself and noone even knew (the strangest was in the car at a drive-in movie my husband and I went to -- he had no clue I had even done it). Ice before is always helpful, but my biggest advice is to relax so your muscles aren't tight. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JJ! Just did the first one last night and it went okay! Hopefully less scary as I do more. My partner had to do this one! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow this is exciting! I wish you the best!!

    ReplyDelete