11/16/2019

Birth Story

I totally understand now why other bloggers have gone for months before they post their birth stories. Our reality is so different now, and my time and energy is much more limited. I’d like to save the memory and story on my blog, though, so here is a rough version anyway…

Our birth date was planned because of me being higher risk due to my age but also the polyhydramnios that happened in the third trimester. So, my doctors scheduled me for a C-section at 39 weeks.

We went into the hospital at 5 AM on October 10, as instructed, and I was registered and checked in in one of the hospital rooms. I guess this isn’t normally done in those rooms, but the smaller check in rooms were unavailable or something. The nurse checking me in then attempted to place an IV, but it was a total fail. She tried twice, but it wouldn’t flow, and it hurt so bad I almost screamed. I then said I was not going to go through a third try with her, and they called the IV therapy nurse who was much more skilled.  She had no problem placing it on the first try.

Then, I was visited by doctors, first the anesthesiologist who I initially thought was a little quirky and could’ve had more warmth or compassion, but he turned out to be pretty awesome, which I’ll share later. Then I was visited by my primary maternal fetal medicine doctor, and she was her normal upbeat, kind and jovial self.  She always manages to instill confidence and normalize what you’re going through, which was great at that time.

We found out that the cesarean would be done by both her and the head of the maternal fetal medicine department, who we had met with before and had basically trained and mentored her. He was on call that shift, and she came in special, so they teamed up, which made us feel very secure and well cared for.

Prior to her visit, though, the nurses hooked me up for a final stress test. Stress tests were definitely not my favorite test in the third trimester. They are so uncomfortable and it seems like my girl would always be moving around a lot and they would lose her heartbeat and have toStart over or go longer and I just felt she was pushed around inside me in the process, which I hated. Anyway, this time the machine stopped recording for some unknown reason so they had to go longer but finally got what the doctor needed.

Once all that was done with, I would say the rest of the procedure flowed smoothly and really was a positive, powerful experience for us overall. They wheeled me back to the OR, and RC had to wait in the hallway while they prepped me. He said it seemed like forever that he was waiting. From my perspective, the doctors and staff in the OR worked like a large, well oiled machine, with multiple smaller groups in different parts of the room.

The anesthesiologist gave me a spinal, and that was a little uncomfortable because I had to hunch over like a turtle for a bit of time while he injected it in the specific place it needed to go between the vertebrae. Both he and my doctor were coaching me, however, so I felt supported and it didn’t hurt badly.  When the spinal anesthesia kicked in, it was the craziest feeling. The lower half of my body was total deadweight, and I couldn’t have moved if my life depended on it. I just felt like my legs were hanging there kind of splayed so that was weird, but I trusted the doctors and basically surrendered to the procedure at that point.

Around that time, RC was let in the room, and I was very glad to see him. They put up the curtain in front of me. I remember having some anxiety, and the anesthesiologist suddenly became my best friend. He was super calm and reassuring and best of all kept me informed of everything that was happening as it happened. I truly felt like he was coaching me through the process.

Next comes the best part… I knew the doctors were about to cut into me, so I was very tuned in to feeling any sensation whatsoever, but I never did. She tested first before pinching or poking me or something, and I didn’t react at all. Anyway, I knew they had begun, but I didn’t know  exactly where they were in the timeline, until I heard the head doctor guy, who is a really big, bald former basketball player, by the way, so you have an image, say, “Hi there, Cutie!” Oh my heart. I knew at that point that they had cut into the uterus and could actually see her.  Sorry if that grosses anyone out, but to me it was so beautiful.

Next thing we knew they were taking her out and my doctor held her up and said, “Hi, Mama!” I immediately started sobbing. It was overwhelming and so incredibly beautiful. I definitely loved her immeasurably right away. RC and I were both overcome with joy and love, and I babbled, “I love her so much! She’s so beautiful! etc.”

Because of the polyhydramnios,  a representative from the NICU had to take her briefly over to make sure her airway was clear, which it was. RC went over with him and cut the cord. They lifted part of the curtain for me so  I could see that happening, which I felt grateful about. Then they brought her over to me and put her on my chest. Queue more overwhelmed weeping of awe and love.

Of course, we saw when my doctor  lifted her out that she had a head full of dark hair. I thought all along that I wanted a more bald baby but when I saw her, I could not have imagined anything different. She was perfect. And I love her hair so much, we both do. We play with it all the time, and it’s so soft.


After I held her for a while, and the doctors were stitching me up, we all moved back into the recovery room. I’m trying, but I can’t remember a lot about that time period. Probably, in large part, because I was on pain meds at that point and dozing off and on a little, totally blissed out with her on my chest.  know I held her for a lot of it, but they also cleaned her off and weighed and measured her, which RC accompanied her for. After her measuring on the big side in our ultrasounds and the doctor predicting her weight at around 9 pounds, we were surprised when she came out at 7 lbs. 15 oz.

I will write more about our hospital stay later but will post this much now..,

7 comments:

  1. First and foremost, your sweet baby girl is adorable! Such hair! And do not get me started on her little button of a nose and pouty lips! I have to say you had the most peaceful c-section story I've ever read, even among other planned c-sections. Usually I read and hear about new mothers that end up feeling completely out of control, unsupported and scared. Along with feeling physically ill with uncontrollable shaking because of the anesthetic. I love that you felt supported and at peace the whole time, aside from the rocky IV placements that is. I'm a hard stick too so I feel your pain!! I also love that she was "only" 7lbs 15oz - a perfect weight- ultrasounds are such a double edged sword. On the one hand- life saving and useful information along with adorable pictures. On the other - sometimes needless worry.

    I'm so glad she's here and perfectly perfect in every way (as we all knew she would be.) I'm amazed that you're finally a MOMMY! I'm PROUD of you for never giving up that dream! And I can't wait to read about how your recovery is going and how sweet Ellianna Grace is adjusting to life earthside!! Sending lots of love from the East Coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your detailed comment. Was feeling lonely and needy and wanting some feedback so it means a lot. Yes, I didn’t expect to have such a peaceful C-section story but it sure was

      Delete
  2. So excited to check back in and see the birth story! Not having given birth myself I'm a bit obsessed with birth stories from fellow IF ladies. She's absolutely beautiful and I'm sure dominating all of your time. :-) I absolutely loved the newborn stage when I adopted each of mine so am looking forward to more posts when she let's you. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading the birth story. Thanks for sharing. I have to agree with the above poster that your c-section was very peaceful. You did so good. Ellie is adorable. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sunflower! 😊 I feel lucky and very happy with my csection.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh her hair!!!! I can't even stand it. I totally remember that weird feeling when my lower half went numb for my first birth. So. Weird. And I'm so glad you had an amazing anesthesiologist. They really make or break your birth. Congratulations, Mama. I hope motherhood is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete