10/07/2017

Mysterious Melancholy

Does anyone else feel kind of out of it right now? I don't know if it's the change in the season and drop in temperature, or maybe it's that I've gone into more of a waiting versus action mode around the adoption process? I don't feel depressed, but I'm acting kind of depressed, as far as feeling lethargic and unmotivated. When I think of heading into holiday season with Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, I feel excited, but that's not translating into energy and activity.

Yesterday was super hectic, beginning with a monthly school community day, which included dialogue about an emotional issue that's been up for the students, then lunch with my teammates, then us all visiting another charter school site to get ideas, and ending with me meeting with a new client for the first time.

The new client, even after signing an agreement, decided she had reservations committing to a four-month counseling package. So I had to do my least favorite thing, at the end of a long day: have a sales conversation, communicating the value of my work. Blech. It reminded me why it's really important to invest in the initial phone consultation, so that the connection is firmly established and all questions are answered. She ended up switching to a shorter package to start with, but we went on to have a really good session and a positive ending at least.

In an effort to cheer myself up, I'm going to make a short list of what I hope transpires before the end of this year:
  • I am placed with a healthy infant before Thanksgiving and we start our journey together as a family. 
  • The other local client I consulted with last week pays his invoice and schedules his first appointment this weekend, and I begin working with two more new clients in the next month. 
  • I find the energy and initiative to get my house in order and get my self in order, as well!  I need to color and cut my hair, do my nails, and get another professional outfit or two for fall. 
I have a training called Nurtured Heart with my adoption agency next Friday, so I am looking forward to that. It occurs to me maybe I'm subconsciously feeling some grief about leaving the nonprofit and my friends there.  I do miss them and the laughter and conversation we shared.

 How are you feeling at this turn of the season?

4 comments:

  1. I can definitely understand how anticipation and waiting are leaving you feeling...blah. I don't know how drastic seasonal changes are where you live, but where I am, it can be pretty intense and tough to adapt to: much colder weather and a lot more darkness.

    I've definitely been in a funk lately, too. I can easily attribute it to stress in my personal life and an extremely hectic start to the academic year. I'm feeling very depleted.

    I hope you see all of your items in your list checked off very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling a little down or depleted. I hope you experience a positive shift soon, as well. I will say, the fire situation here is taking a lot of my attention right now so not thinking as much about my own stuff.

      Delete
  2. Sorry for the late comment. I read your blog regularly, but don't get to comment as much.
    I hope you are feeling better. I think the shorter days definitely affect me. I am really hoping you get placed soon!!!!
    Stay safe! The fires are scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good thoughts! I hope so too. 😊
      Fire situation is getting more in control now, thank goodness.

      Delete