Knocking on wood, but I may have found a place to move with potential! It is actually in a co-housing development, which I have explored and desired for the last 12 or more years. I will be meeting with her again on Thursday to introduce her to Zoey, so please send good thoughts and prayers at 11am pst. It could be a wonderful situation in which to move forward with adoption: two bedrooms, one bath, small but modern-ish, conscious community members including other families with kids, meals together twice a week, a swimming pool (!) and garden.
The woman unfortunately has to have oral surgery in a few months, so she has been staying at the place here and there when she gets her orthodontic procedures - she has to have surgery again to move her jaw forward for sleep apnea that didn't work the first time because apparently the jaw broke in the wrong place. Ack Also, her son, who has been living there, will be attending UC Davis in the Fall and is spending the summer in Canada with her spouse.
So, basically the first month would be a "trial" housesitting type situation, leaving my stuff in storage, then, if we decide to go forward, we could share the house, but she would be there maybe a week out of the month. Finally, after she has surgery in a few months, hopefully my income will have risen, either through jobs I'm applying for or through this business beginning to bring in revenue, and I will be adopting a little one and would rent the house on my own. As we both said, it could be very synergistic. But I can tell it's a little overwhelming for her at the moment, thinking of leaving next weekend and turning the house over to someone she just met. So, I'm trying to take it a step at a time and not get my hopes up quite yet... can't help but be excited about the potential though. :)