11/25/2018

Relationship Frustrations

I am having one of those moments in my life, in my relationship, in which I am necessarily reminding myself that I know who my partner is - have know who he is from the beginning - and should not be surprised when he is acting true to character. At this moment, I admit, I wish his character were a little different in certain ways.

Specifically, there are two ways in which my partner behaves that I'm struggling with right now...

One, when he is stressed and overwhelmed, he can become depressed and withdrawn. I generally do not do this, and I'm trying, but I don't really understand it. I know that we just went through a HUGE life change in moving to Eugene, and that this change is even bigger for him because he lived on the Central Coast for multiple decades longer than me. He said himself that he did not feel rooted there and that he was open to moving, but when it came down to it, it was very challenging for him.

What I would LIKE him to do when he is stressed and overwhelmed is to communicate about it and ask for what he needs or let me help him figure out what he needs. In general, I would like us to turn to one another and work as a team through life's challenges and adversities. Is this unrealistic? Perhaps, again, considering his nature. He has depression and it seems to flare up when he is feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Can he shift his thinking and reactions at these times? I don't know.

The second aspect with which I'm struggling perhaps relates to the first, as I think about it. He doesn't have the initiative and sense of agency that I would like him to have when it comes to problem solving, especially right now when it has to deal with money. This affects me big-time in the area of engagement and marriage.

I have never been married. I am excited and looking forward to being married. RC and I have talked about marriage many times over the last year plus that we have been together (as mentioned, we were friends for several years, as well, when I lived on the Central Coast a decade ago). Before we left, we had several discussions about getting married before the end of the year for tax purposes - I know, how romantic! - and then, when it quickly became clear that it would be too much to plan a real wedding by the end of the year, we talked about perhaps doing a justice of the peace court wedding in December, then a real wedding in February. We have looked at rings down there and once up here in Oregon, as well.

Fast-forward to yesterday, three weeks after we arrived in Oregon, I asked what his thoughts were now on the subject, and he totally withdrew and said he didn't know what to say - that I know our finance situation, and he wants to get me a ring but doesn't know where the money would come from. ARGH! In a past conversation, I asked him to reflect and consider where the money might be found. Is it unreasonable that I want him to take the lead on this endeavor? I'm willing to help or talk through finances, but I DON'T WANT TO BE IN CHARGE OF COMING UP WITH THE MONEY FOR MY OWN RING!

Obviously, I have some energy around this. As mentioned, I've never been married. He's been married twice before. The proposal and ring mean a lot to me, and there is romance involved, at least for me. It's so frustrating to me that it seems he hasn't even been thinking about this situation and how we might move forward. In this moment, right now, I can brainstorm two or three ways that he/we could come up with some money. Why can't he do that and take the lead? In addition to frustrated, it makes me feel sad and insecure.

Thanks for listening to my venting on this. I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments.

6 comments:

  1. Have you told him about your feelings (the frustration, sadness and insecurity) and how special this is to you?

    My situation with my husband was similar - he had been married twice before, while I never had. When we got married we couldn't afford rings, so I used my mother's rings (she no longer wore them) and gave him a simple silver band I already had. It was fine for us, because I didn't have a lot of emotions around a ring, but I can definitely understand your feelings and what it would mean to you. I hope you can make him aware of how important this is to you, even though it may not carry the same weight for him.

    I'm not sure I have much advice on his depression and how he handles it. My husband is the same when he gets depressed. Trying to get him to talk about what he's going through just makes him withdraw more. All I can do is wait it out with him.

    Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. Interesting that J was married twice before, too. I do think that creates quite a different perspective. We have talked about it. Looks like we are going to sell our second car and we are using the diamond from my Mom's ring. At least we seem to be on the same page now. 😊

      Delete
  2. I feel like if he isn’t taking the initiative to move the relationship forward, it’s because he doesn’t want to. I’m afraid if you coax him along it might work in the short term, but his resentment and hesitation could build until one day he can’t handle it and walks away. You might feel like you’re on the same page, but did he initiate the conversation and offer the solutions?

    A good friend of mine has been unhappily married for 20 years because she poked and prodded her boyfriend (now husband) toward marriage and babies. He often says things like “This is what you wanted!” and “This is what you signed up for!” while not being an active father or equal partner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment and questions. Definitely food for thought. When we were first talking about marriage, he did bring it up. His reluctance now is primarily about money but in a recent conversation, he said there may be some stuff coming up related to past marriages. With having a kid, he’s excited and will be equal partners with me I believe. Maybe I need to let go of the timeline on marriage.

      Delete
  3. Ah yes. I'm the planner and my husband is the one to just sit back and ride things out. And it drives me crazy. I echo the others, from my experience sometimes talking about it too much tends to draw them more inward. Right now we have a weekly Wine Time where TV is off and we talk, about the news, family, us, whatever. It's helped us so much in the communication department because it's time that's set aside and I think it's less intimidating for him. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, but I really appreciate this comment. I think you’re right about setting aside a regular time to talk, and bringing something up randomly can backfire. Sometimes easier said than done when it’s on the top of my mind! :)

      Delete