4/02/2019

Pregnancy Update #5 - Second Ultrasound

We saw Pudge again yesterday! Little guy was wiggling and kicking at times, which was so amazing to see. He arched his back at one point; so cute! And thus begins the era of 1 million things that I think are adorable, and others probably roll their eyes at. 🙄😃 I’m glad to become annoying in that way, though. I welcome it.

Some data points we took away from our appointment:
  • His heart was beating away at 170 bpm. 
  • Nuchal screening came out great: 1.46 and they want it under 3. 
  • They drew blood for the NIPT screening, but we won’t hear back for about 10 days. Then we will know 100% conclusively that we have a little boy, and hopefully get peace of mind that the chances of genetic/developmental issues are low. 
  • They will also test my thyroid level, to my relief.  My OB/GYN was somewhat dismissive about it, saying we didn’t need to test for a while longer, but this high-risk doctor was very on board with testing. She said the required dosage level usually increases by 30% during pregnancy.  
We talked about making our pregnancy announcement after this ultrasound and are coming up with some fun ideas. Hopefully, we can post it later today or tomorrow. I’ve let most of the people I care about know already, but RC has a lot of longer distance friends and acquaintances. I know he likes sharing and celebrating with these folks online. I hope it’s not obnoxious or hurtful to anyone in the trenches of infertility. 

Without further ado, here is the most recent picture of Pudge 😍😍😍:

8 comments:

  1. So cute!!! As an infertile mom via adoption, the "fertile" pregnancy announcements stung but the "infertile" pregnancy announcements filled me with joy, as does yours. Seems weird I suppose but they definitely hit me in two completely different spots. Many congrats on a great appointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) That makes sense. Thank you so much for sharing your perspective. Not everyone out there in FB land knows what I/we have gone through, but they can likely guess from my age, and many of my FB friends do know.

      Delete
  2. What a cutie Pudge is!! You and RC must be so excited!! I’m glad the appointment went well and that your thyroid is getting checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catie! Yes, we are super excited. :) RC never got to see an ultrasound with his other kids, so it was new for him, too.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!! What a cute picture, I am so excited for you two! How many weeks along are you again? When is your next appointment? Do you get more frequent ultrasounds due to your age? I remember getting more since I was over 35 and “advanced maternal age”! What a bad label. But that’s ok to have more ultrasounds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I am 12 weeks tomorrow. I have an obgyn appointment scheduled for the 10th but not sure what we will be doing there. My next definite ultrasound is May 21st at Maternal Fetal Medicine again. I think I'll be switching to that doc to see me through the end of pregnancy, since I am older and considered "high risk." I definitely appreciate more ultrasounds! And they are located at the hospital where I would be giving birth and docs are much more accessible. Yeah that label is bad, but "geriatric" is even worse, which I've heard! ha

      Delete
  4. Oh my.... I love these ultrasounds where they start looking like little babies and less like adorable blobs. :) Everything sounds like it's going fantastic!

    ReplyDelete