4/01/2019

Pregnancy Update 4.5 - Maternal Fetal Medicine

I am gearing up for the second ultrasound today at the Maternal Fetal Medicine clinic. I am excited but also nervous. We get to see Pudge again, and so that is a fun thing, but there is always that thought, "What if something is wrong?" We just heard the heartbeat through home doppler a few of days ago, which was very reassuring, but oddly enough, the reassurance seems to last a couple of days and then dissipates. I am trying to limit use to every few days. Praying that he's going to be an active little bub in there; whole, healthy, and developing right on time.

Other tasks on the agenda today include talking to the high-risk testing folks about our background, what we know of the donor's background, and discussing potential testing. We are already clear we will not be doing any invasive testing, like amniocentesis or CVS (chorionic villus sampling), because our egg donor was 23-years-old, and there isn't anything we could possibly find out that would make us change course. I suppose the case could be made for preparation, but I think bigger issues would become known as the pregnancy progresses, with plenty of time to prepare. It's sad to even think about.

We are definitely going to agree to the NIPT blood testing, and they will do the nuchal translucency screening during the ultrasound, as well. I will also be getting an echocardiogram and an EKG in the afternoon, which I'm SO excited about. nope. The doctor wants me to do it, and I guess it can't hurt to be clear, but I've never had blood pressure or heart problems detected of any kind. I've had excellent blood pressure readings, actually, as well as cholesterol. Oh well. It doesn't sound painful, at least.

I will post an update later with more information and hopefully an exciting new ultrasound picture. I think we will be able to hear the heart this time, too, and I'm sure their machine will amplify it better than our home doppler. I'm definitely looking forward to that, and I hope my little guy is kicking and moving around in there. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment