9/19/2018

Cycle Update 5

And, just like that, despite our great odds, this cycle is a bust. Or more specifically, a "chemical" pregnancy - the most ridiculous name I've ever heard for a very early pregnancy that stops developing.

When the three home pregnancy tests we took came back negative, my anxiety shot through the roof. It was, as they say, not a good sign. But we held out hope that maybe one or both of our embryos were late implanters and looked towards the Beta test that Friday.

The Beta test came back at 12, which, if you are familiar with Betas, is extremely low. They (as in your doctor and nurses) like to see it at least 30, preferably 50. But I did feel excited for a little while, just knowing I was pregnant; that something had started after so many tries with IUI before where nothing started at all. So, we hoped upon hope that it would double properly for the second Beta test on Monday.

On Monday, we drove to the lab, where they told us that the results hadn't been finalized or something. It was very confusing, but when we called the processing center, they faxed over the required confirmation paperwork to my doctor. So they could confirm they are my doctor. Even though the order said the doctor's name and had their signature at the bottom. Argh!

When that happened, they finally sent the results to both my doctor and the lab, and my nurse beat the lab to the punch and called right away. My nurse, who has been super helpful along the way, did not have a positive tone so I guessed even before I heard that the Beta had only risen to a 17. Disappointment does not describe the feeling. It's like a punch to the chest.

RC was immediately super sad, whereas I think I just went kind of numb. I think, too, that what I read about Betas, had indicated that it was extremely uncertain that there would be a positive ending. We decided to drown our sorrows that evening. It was effective, but now we are picking up the pieces and regrouping for a Frozen Embryo Transfer. I have stopped all medication and am waiting to bleed. Once that starts, I let my nurse know and we create a calendar for the FET cycle. We are super fortunate to have great quality frozen embryos to use.

Apparently, my clinic has a committee that meets to discuss cases that did not succeed, so we will be on the agenda. I look forward to hearing how they might want to tweak my protocols and medication. I definitely think I should start with more estrogen, since my lining was thin in the initial check and then barely reached the minimum level before starting progesterone. I think it was close to 9mm. I'd also like to check my progesterone shortly after transfer to assure it's where it should be.

On the two-week (well really 8-9 days) side, RC and I talked about getting out of town for a few days to help mediate my anxiety. Especially on days he worked, it was super challenging for me to get through those last few hours of the afternoon/evening before he got home. He's going to take a day or two off work, and I'm also going to pre-plan some fun and uplifting activities on the days we are in town. I also want to do some hypnobabies meditations - have any of you used those?

I guess we've turned the corner and are looking ahead to the new cycle, but I still feel a little lost and empty at times. We both got attached to the "perfect" little embabies that were transferred this cycle.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry this cycle didn't work. Sending you lots of love.

    I haven't tried hypnobabies, but I did use the Bloom guided meditations and found them to be very good. I usually fell asleep to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. Was it Circle and Bloom? I've heard of those too and will check them out. I want to find some well produced ones. Using ones I found on youtube was okay but they lacked polish/were a little rough at times.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry this cycle didn't work for you. Though it sounds reassuring that the medical staff reviews cases that didn't work. Hopefully they will take your suggestions and come up with a protocol that brings success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iris. Yes, my nurse got back to me and I've already started taking Trental, a relatively new medication that helps with uterine blood flow. And they will have me start on a higher dose of extrogen, too. Hopefully that will be a big help.

      Delete
  3. I’m so sorry this cycle didn’t work. Take care of yourself, and it sounds like you are doing your best. I agree it’s great they review your case and make adjustments. Again, I’m so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I'm glad that we will be doing a couple things differently.

      Delete
  4. Kristina, I am so sorry that the cycle did not work. Its so hard to get a low beta and spend the next few days worrying and hoping. I am glad they are tweaking your protocol. I have been digging through my cycles notes and now recall that for my last cycle I had a scratch biopsy prior to transfer. Its supposed to increase implantation rates. So you may want to ask about that. Wishing you and RC all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sunflower. Well, I did ask about the endometrial scratch, and my clinic won't recommend it because they don't believe there's enough evidence to support it. But I've seen some evidence suggesting it can help with cases with multiple IVFs not working.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry. I’m glad you and RC are there for each other and are helping each other through it. It sounds like you and your doctors have positive plans moving forward. I remain hopeful for your next cycle.

    ReplyDelete