11/27/2011

Premature Exhaustion

I. am. so. tired.

Reacclimating to normal life has been hard for some reason, even though we were only gone for a couple of days.  It might be premature exhaustion, in anticipation of my intense work week, I guess.  It's going to be all middle schoolers, all the time.

I don't think I mentioned it, but my teaching counterpart who teaches Thursdays is not getting along with the current 8th-grade English teacher with whom we're working.  So, my supervisor asked me to teach her remaining sessions, in addition to my own.  Plus, this week and next include one field trip day.

The positive side to this story is that I'm off after December 16th (my birthday!) for the rest of the month.  It will be nice holiday preparation-wise, but also working extra for the next two weeks will help balance the lost hours.

I know I'm a wuss compared to some of y'all, but as I've shared, this teaching (especially this age kids) really takes it out of me.  Thus, I'm mentally preparing to be tough and muscle through the next couple of weeks.  Wish me luck!

Next weekend will be all about Christmas stuff like buying and decorating a tree, so that will be a reward. . .

3 comments:

  1. Kristina, honey, teaching is a hard job and middle school can be atrocious. It is so much worse when it's not your classroom and "your" kids because you have to be careful not to step on toes (like it sounds like your coworker did). I'm glad you're working, but I'll be honest and admit that I do not envy you. I wish you strength for the next three weeks and a mental/ emotional flexibility to carry you through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that reading IF blogs by many ladies who are teachers, has really elevated my understanding of that profession.

    I am not an educator myself and have only interacted with teachers in school and Univ, so to get this type of insight into the "back end" of the business and to hear your stories and the amount of prep work you do after hours, I am quite awed.

    You ladies rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me, after teaching middle school for 10 years, it is an exhausting job (mentally and physically). I happen to know for a fact, that many of my coworkers take naps after work on a regular basis. Today, I just kept chanting "three more weeks" over and over in my head!

    ReplyDelete