5/13/2011

Pounding Head, Travel Bug, and Communication "Aha!"

Well, it appears Blogger is working again. . .

It's Friday.  For some reason, this week has been absolutely creeeeping by.  Possibly due to the incessant hammering, drilling, and general banging around going on at my house from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.  I can't complain too much about that, though, because it's dramatically increasing my physical safety (a strong foundation in an earthquake is a good thing, an event which is much more likely in my region of California than most of the country)

Or maybe the time drag is related to my physical discomfort.  I don't know if it's Spring allergies or a sinus infection or some other mysterious ailment, but my head has not been a friend to me just lately.  Exacerbated by falling asleep on the couch and giving myself tight/contracted neck and shoulders.  Okay, I'm sounding like I am 90 years old!  Moving on to more interesting topics.

Sound healing/chocolate man (I think I'll go with this nickname versus "Fred") and I have been keeping in touch by email.  I'm so jealous hearing of all his local explorations (National Galleries, Trafalgar Square, Shakespeare, Richmond Park, etc.).

The travel bug hasn't made a habit of biting me much.  Maybe because I traveled more than the average in my early teens, thanks to Japan and European trips gifted to me and my two cousins by our generous travel-savvy grandparents on my Dad's side.

But it's hitting me right now, and I really wish I was in England!  Having a travel partner in sh/cm wouldn't be so bad either. . .

Last night I went to my Non-Violent Communication group, even though I was tempted to stay home and lie on the floor.  I am very much appreciating this group.  One aha! moment last night came around the process of expressing our FEELINGS and NEEDS to another person.

Our facilitator said that Marshall Rosenberg, the founder of NVC, stressed that it's important to then move quickly to the REQUEST  part of the expression, to avoid the danger of that person feeling that you are BLAMING them for causing your feelings; assuming you are saying they are doing something WRONG.

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me in relationships.  I share my feelings, 'cause I'm a feeling kinda gal, with the intention of feeling closer and more connected to them.  Instead, they become defensive, I feel frustrated and assume they don't care, and we end up further apart.  So this is a big one for me to practice.

I am looking forward to a weekend without the company of drills and jackhammers.  Dance and theatre workshop on Sunday.

And maybe a Skype conversation with sh/cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment